Principal Field Applications Engineer- Embedded Solutions Engineer
Req ID: 577-22Apply Now Back to Search
Microchip Technology Inc. is a leading provider of embedded control applications. Our product portfolio comprises general purpose and specialized 8-bit, 16-bit, and 32-bit microcontrollers, 32-bit microprocessors, field-programmable gate array (FPGA) products, a broad spectrum of high-performance linear, mixed-signal, power management, thermal management, radio frequency (RF), timing, safety, security, wired connectivity and wireless connectivity devices, as well as serial Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory (EEPROM), Serial Flash memories, Parallel Flash memories, and serial Static Random Access Memory (SRAM). We also license Flash-IP solutions that are incorporated in a broad range of products.
As an Embedded Solutions Engineer (ESE/FAE) focused on FPGAs, you will engage with clients to create technical solutions while identifying and building new business using your engineering expertise.
You will be expected to reframe their thinking and build consensus for Microchip’s solutions, co-creating value by delivering the freedom to innovate.
At Microchip Technology, our values system empowers our employees to develop and thrive in a supportive, collaborative, professional, global, and rewarding working environment. We embrace change and continuous improvement, driving both to the mutual benefit of ourselves and our clients. We are looking for like-minded people who can share our passion for success.
- Engage with Sales and Marketing teams to provide pre- and post-sales technical support for all product lines with a primary focus on FPGAs, including relevant new technologies.
- Learn and utilize Microchip’s Client Engagement Process to drive design wins to revenue at select target clients.
- Use insight and influencing skills to teach clients about their industry and offer unique perspectives on their technology, which link back to Microchip’s solutions.
- Engage in client architectural discussions and reviews driving best in class support with Microchip’s FPGA solutions.
- Be an authority on all phases of programmable logic design, including requirements analysis, HDL code development and simulation, embedded hard and soft processor system design, synthesis optimizations, place and route constraints, timing closure, FPGA hardware development, and debug tools.
- Conduct architectural and board-level schematic reviews, design-in and product training for customers.
- Fully support client development processes that include Microchip FPGA solutions to advance design-in to post-production.
- Provide essential communications across functional teams to improve product features and processes, support and attention to client needs.
- Support the company’s technical and business relationships with assigned clients.
- Utilize engineering design skills, techniques and knowledge to decrease client development time, improve manufacturability and improve end product performance.
- Contribute and participate within a global team environment to successfully develop and implement strategies for assigned clients across all global location
- Communicate effectively with Microchip product division providing quantifiable feedback and ROI for their investments in clients.
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline (e.g. BSEE, BSCE) with a strong academic track record.
- Eight to twelve years of relevant work experience with at least two years of experience in semiconductor applications/sales.
- In-depth experience with Microsemi/Microchip, Xilinx or Altera FPGA devices and a deep knowledge of Verilog or VHDL languages.
- Embedded processor experience with knowledge of C, and software debug tools such as Keil, IAR or Eclipse.
- Experience with Libero, Vivado or Quartus Design Software, as well as EDA tools for FPGA design.
- Must have the creativity and initiative to identify a client technical need and the ability to meet that need including developing a custom RTL block, building a custom reference design, and/or bringing in other Microchip solutions.
- Board level experience including power supply decoupling, high speed signal terminations and routing.
- Strong debugging skills with the ability to dig into system level issues to assist clients in identifying the root cause.
- Ability to articulate and facilitate customers technical needs to drive action across functional groups.
- Must have the ability to create content and deliver technical overviews, seminars, and workshops for clients, fellow ESEs and/or Sales.
- Ability to manage multiple customer engagements simultaneously.
- Experience working with Aerospace and Defense designs a plus.
- Strategic/Critical Thinking—Systematically solves problems and hypothesizes possible client pain points, expectations, and implicit needs; brainstorms with team members to devise solutions to solve complex client challenges.
- Communication—Tailors communication to the client’s needs with authority; effectively delivers presentations and has strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Interpersonal Influence—Uses rational and emotional drivers that would appeal to clients to comfortably drive conversations to elements of value for both parties.
- Networking—Identifies the right client stakeholders and builds connections quickly to drive consensus for design wins; works cooperatively with a wide range of internal stakeholders for success.
- Ownership—Goes out of their way to complete a task and has relentless drive to achieve results; is independent and self-directed and takes initiative.
- Workflow Management—Sets clear, realistic, and time-bound objectives that align to business growth; breaks each objective into tasks and process steps that can be achieved within a realistic time frame.
This job requires access to technology, materials, software, or hardware that is controlled by the export laws of the United States. Candidates are required to provide proof of either U.S. citizenship, Permanent U.S. residency, or classification as a protected individual as defined in 8 USC 1324b (a) (3).